BUFFALO, NY -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Buffalo District is conducting a poster session on Wednesday, November 12, 2014, in the Double Tree by Hilton, 6200 Quarry Lane, Independence, Ohio 44131. Members of the Buffalo District’s project delivery team will be available between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. to answer questions regarding the Harshaw Chemical Company Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) Site and the upcoming deconstruction of Building G-1 to allow further investigation of the groundwater at the site.
The 55-acre Harshaw Chemical Company FUSRAP Site is located at 1000 Harvard Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio. From 1944 to 1959, the former Harshaw Chemical Company was contracted by the Manhattan Engineer District and the Atomic Energy Commission to produce uranium that was then sent to Oak Ridge, Tenn., for isotopic separation and enrichment. Building G-1 contained the major processing plants, the Refinery and the Brown Oxide Plant, which produced uranium trioxide and uranium dioxide respectively. Also located in Building G-1 were the uranium tetraflouride and the uranium hexafluoride plant.
FUSRAP was initiated in 1974 to identify, investigate, and clean up or control sites throughout the United States that were part of the Nation’s early atomic energy program. The Corps of Engineers, as lead Federal agency for FUSRAP, follows the phased process required in the Comprehensive, Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, CERCLA, and the National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan. The Corps of Engineers is in the feasibility study phase of the CERCLA process at the Harshaw Chemical Company FUSRAP Site.
Additional information about the site is available at: http://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/Missions/HTRW/FUSRAP/HarshawSite.aspx and in the administrative record file for the Harshaw Chemical Company FUSRAP Site, which is available for review in the Cuyahoga County Library, Brooklyn Branch, 4480 Ridge Road, Brooklyn, Ohio 44144 (electronic version only) and the Cleveland Public Library, 325 Superior Avenue, N.E., Cleveland, Ohio 44114 (electronic and paper-copy version).