Guterl Steel Site
The former Simonds Saw and Steel Company, located in Lockport, New York, was contracted by the Atomic Energy Commission to conduct work in support of the Nation's early atomic energy and weapons program. Between 1948 and 1956 the facility was used for foundry work and rolling mill operations on over 25-million pounds of uranium metals and over 30-thousand pounds of thorium metals. Simonds Saw and Steel was sold to Wallace and Murray, and then sold to Guterl Specialty Steel Corporation. In March 1984 Allegheny International (now Allegheny Ludlum Corporation) purchased the entire site with the exception of those areas that had been used during the AEC activities.