The former Scioto Laboratory Complex (SLC), located in Marion, Ohio was acquired by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) in 1948 as a backup polonium initiator production site to the Mound Laboratory production site located in Miamisburg, Ohio. This facility was constructed as a duplicate site that would become active should Mount Laboratory become interrupted or damaged from an act of war or sabotage. From 1949 to 1953, the SLC was maintained in a cold standby status by the Monsanto Chemical Company. In 1953, the AEC determined that the site was no longer needed and it was closed down. It was suggested in historical documents that polonium was neither processed nor stored at the facility.
The Corps of Engineers completed a Preliminary Assessment of the Scioto Laboratory Complex in October 2004. The Preliminary Assessment concluded that the site does not pose a threat to human health or the environment (based on its support to the Nation’s early atomic energy program), and no further action under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program is warranted.
Public inquiries for information or requests for records should be directed to the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Legacy Management, on their website: http://www.lm.doe.gov/. The Department of Energy is responsible for the long-term records management of the site.
No news releases at this time.
Scioto Laboratory No Action Indicated Letter (Jul 2009)
Scioto Laboratory Radiological Analysis Summary (Jul 2006)
Scioto Laboratory Preliminary Assessment (Oct 2004)
Scioto Laboratory FUSRAP Eligibility Letter (Oct 1999)
(All document files are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.)
No photos available at this time.