Superior Steel Site
The former Superior Steel Site, located in Scott Township, Pennsylvania, processed uranium metal in support of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission’s (AEC) fuel-element development program from 1952 to 1957. The site was also licensed from 1957 to 1958 to receive thorium metal for processing and shaping. The primary AEC operations performed at the Superior Steel Site consisted of salt bathing, rolling, brushing, shaping, cutting, stamping, and coiling of uranium metal. Records indicate that natural and enriched uranium were processed at the site. Recycled uranium from reprocessed spent nuclear fuel may also have been processed onsite.