Top of the Dam Guided Walk Schedule:
Offered daily May 2 – October 25, 2021:
Monday through Thursday at 2pm
Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 11am and 2pm
Space is limited. Reserve tickets at www.Recreation.gov
Join the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for a Top of the Dam Guided Walk to learn how the Mount Morris Dam works and the significance of this engineering marvel.
Top of the Dam Guided Walks are offered daily spring through fall. Still an active, working dam, a limited number of visitors can participate in a Top of the Dam Guided Walk to learn more about this engineering marvel. This guided walk is ideal for active visitors with an interest in engineering and natural resource management.
This popular outdoor guided walk lasts approximately 45 minutes and includes a steep ½ mile trek into the Genesee River Gorge to the top of the Mount Morris Dam. From the top of the dam there are great photo opportunities and amazing views of the gorge from a unique perspective. After a short talk and opportunity for questions, the group will walk back up the steep walkway to the Visitor Center where they may explore informational exhibits to learn more.
Please note: The Top of the Dam Guided Walk may be considered somewhat strenuous due to the very steep walkway used to access the top of the dam, which ascends and descends 100 feet in elevation on a 10% grade.
Good to know:
- Reservations: Pre-arrival reservations are strongly recommended and can be booked on www.Recreation.gov up to 7 days in advance until 8am ET on the morning of the Guided Walk.
- Check in: Participants must check-in/pick up tickets at the Mount Morris Dam and Recreation Area Visitor Center at least 15 minutes prior to the Guided Walk start time. Otherwise, reservations will be cancelled, and tickets forfeited. No refunds will be offered.
- Fees: Mount Morris Dam and Recreation Area does not charge nor collect any fees for participation in the Top of the Dam Guided Walk, however, Recreation.gov charges a non-refundable reservation service fee of $1 per ticket.
- Liability Waiver: It is required that all Guided Walk participants sign a liability waiver. Completion is required for both adults and children (signed by parent or guardian) participating in the guided walk.
- Photo ID required: Valid photo ID is required for all participants 18 years of age or older. Adults without photo ID will not be permitted on the guided walk.
- Safety: Includes a steep outdoor walkway to and from the Top of the Dam and is not recommended for individuals with known heart or respiratory problems, back, knee, or difficulty walking, or for individuals with sensitivity to heights.
- Mask Requirement: Consistent with CDC recommendations, properly worn masks covering both nose and mouth must be worn by all visitors over the age of two inside the Visitor Center. Individuals who are not fully vaccinated must continue to wear masks in crowded outdoor spaces, as well.
- Accessibility: The Top of the Dam Guided Walk is not considered accessible for individuals using a wheelchair or with mobility limitations due to the very steep walkway used to access the top of the dam, which descends/ascends 100 feet in elevation on a 10% grade.
- Service Animals: Only service animals trained to perform tasks for individuals with disabilities are permitted inside the visitor center and on guided walks.
- Cancellations: For safety reasons, guided walks will not take place during thunderstorms or severe weather. Additionally, walks may be cancelled due to flood operations, higher security threat levels, or maintenance. No refunds will be offered.
- What to Wear: Wear comfortable walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing; it can be quite windy and cold or sunny and hot on top of the dam. Depending on the season, you may consider a raincoat, jacket, hat and gloves or sunglasses, shade hat and sunscreen.
- Bags and Backpacks: Bags and backpacks are not permitted on guided walks. There are no lockers in the visitor center, please plan accordingly.