Top of the Dam Guided Walk Schedule:
Offered daily May 2 – October 25, 2021:
Monday through Thursday at 2pm
Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 11am and 2pm
Join the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for a Top of the Dam Guided Walk to learn how the Mount Morris Dam works and the significance of this engineering marvel.
Top of the Dam Guided Walks are offered daily spring through fall. This popular outdoor guided walk lasts approximately 45 minutes and includes a steep ½ mile trek into the Genesee River Gorge to the top of the Mount Morris Dam. From the top of the dam there are great photo opportunities and amazing views of the gorge from a unique perspective. After a short talk and opportunity for questions, the group will walk back up the steep walkway to the Visitor Center where they may explore informational exhibits to learn more.
Please note: The Top of the Dam Guided Walk may be considered somewhat strenuous due to the very steep walkway used to access the top of the dam, which ascends and descends 100 feet in elevation on a 10% grade.
Good to know:
- Reservations: No advanced reservations. Same day in-person sign-up at the Mount Morris Dam and Recreation Area Visitor Center only. Space is limited. Sign-up is first-come, first-served.
- Liability Waiver: It is required that all Guided Walk participants sign a liability waiver. Completion is required for both adults and children (signed by parent or guardian) participating in the guided walk.
- Photo ID required: Valid photo ID is required for all participants 18 years of age or older. Adults without photo ID will not be permitted on the guided walk.
- Safety: Includes a steep outdoor walkway to and from the Top of the Dam and is not recommended for individuals with known heart or respiratory problems, back, knee, or difficulty walking, or for individuals with sensitivity to heights.
- Mask Requirement: Properly worn masks that cover both nose and mouth are required for all individuals over the age of two in the visitor center and on the Top of the Dam Guided Walk, as well as outdoors when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Accessibility: The Top of the Dam Guided Walk is not considered accessible for individuals using a wheelchair or with mobility limitations due to the very steep walkway used to access the top of the dam, which descends/ascends 100 feet in elevation on a 10% grade.
- Service Animals: Only service animals trained to perform tasks for individuals with disabilities are permitted inside the visitor center and on guided walks.
- Cancellations: For safety reasons, guided walks will not take place during thunderstorms or severe weather. Additionally, walks may be cancelled due to flood operations, higher security threat levels, or maintenance.
- What to Wear: Wear comfortable walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing; it can be quite windy and cold or sunny and hot on top of the dam. Depending on the season, you may consider a raincoat, jacket, hat and gloves or sunglasses, shade hat and sunscreen.
- Bags and Backpacks: Bags and backpacks are not permitted on guided walks. There are no lockers in the visitor center, please plan accordingly.